Friday, December 12, 2014

Time



time
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

While driving yesterday, I heard of an interview with a couple who spoke about their current living experience with their 17 year old daughter who was suddenly diagnosed with leukaemia on the radio. Its funny that we hear these stories all the time, and often our heart simply goes out to them with pity and empathy. Perhaps we would stop for a moment and say a prayer for them to wish them speedy recovery, or also even decide to donate to these families who need help. And after that we move on and go about our daily lives.

But today, I don't know what struck me. From listening to this couple's experience, what really hit me was that one's life is really, truly limited. It is so strange, but I suddenly truly understood the essence of what it really means to "live each day like its the last". I imagined if I was the 17 year old girl's friend, what would I say to her? And I figured that I would probably be by her side actively encouraging her to do all the things that she wanted to do and accomplish in her life time. 

And then I thought, what if I was the one who had tomorrow as the last day of my life, what then would I do differently today? And I realised, how differently I would spend my day. In my life both in the master plans I've envisioned for the many years ahead, and down to the day-to-day nitty gritty, I realise I have so many things that truly matter to me that I want to accomplish. But yet I am guilty of wasting time and not using every minute purposefully. I acted like time was unlimited, infinite.

I am thankful for the message that struck hard in my heart and head today. That our time in this earth is limited. And what a difference I have observed in the way I conduct my day to day business and mindset.

Time is limited. Live like each day is the last and most probably, the things you choose to do each day will be the most purposeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment